I get itchy nose and eyes when I drink alcohol. Is this normal?

Dr. Theodore Wu
Ophthalmology
In brief: Itchy eyes
You may have an allergic response to the alcohol or a preservative in the alcohol.
As long as you have no shortness of breath, it is ok to try some artificial tears, or an allergy drop such as zaditor (ketotifen) (over the counter). If symptoms persist, call your local ophthalmologist.

In brief: Itchy eyes
Dr. Theodore Wu
Dr. Theodore Wu
Dr. Beth Friedland
Ophthalmology
In brief: Not normal
Various medications affect the response to alcoholic beverages and this may be playing a role in your reaction.
Also you did not specify if this occurs with beer, wine or any alcohol. Different spirits contain types of potential allergens, wine especially. To determine if it is a true reaction to alcohol, you could see if it happens with pure alcohol, such as vodka or neutral spirits.

In brief: Not normal
Dr. Beth Friedland
Dr. Beth Friedland