Can you explain how pollen makes your eyes itchy if you are allergic to it?

Histamine release. A person has allergies if his immune system over-reacts to certain types of pollen, and the histamine (and other chemicals) released by his immune system causes itching, runny nose, watery eyes, wheezing, cough, lots of mucus, etc... The treatment is avoidance of pollen, and use of oral or eye-drop antihistamines, and nasal steroids. For bad eye allergies, eye doctors prescribe eye-drop steroids.
Allergy. The simple explanation is that when you are allergic to pollen, your immune system is programmed to react to it when seen, releasing histamine. Histamine causes blood vessels to dilate leading to swelling and itching.