My doctor says I have borderline pulmonary hypertension. What should I do to avoid getting it?

Dr. Carlo Hatem
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Confirm

After delivery, try to confirm the diagnosis.
Treatment for pulmonary hypertension is often directed at the disease that caused it. The only situation i can think of where personal behavior affects this condition is when it is related directly or indirectly to obesity. Diet, exercise and weight loss would help.

In brief: Confirm

Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Charles Burger
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: PH

Pulmonary hypertension (ph) can only be accurately diagnosed by right heart catheterization which measures the mean pulmonary artery (mpap) and wedge pressures.
A mpap of 25 or greater is ph. A mpap of 21-24 might be considered borderline but this is debatable among the experts in this field.

In brief: PH

Dr. Charles Burger
Dr. Charles Burger
Dr. Mark Avdalovic

In brief: Amphetamine

Pulmonary HTN is more common when amphetamines or weight los drugs are used.
It also more common among those who have HIV and certain liver diseases. Certainly obesity, sleep apnea and uncontrolled systemic HTN can lead to increased pressures in the lung.

In brief: Amphetamine

Dr. Mark Avdalovic
Dr. Mark Avdalovic
Dr. Steven Seres