Is there ever a possibility of false diagnosis of pulmonary fibrosis?

Dr. Ibrahim Faruqi
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Yes, very common

Pulmonary fibrosis is a loose term which is sometimes used by mistake for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (ipf).
I see numerous patients who are told they have pulmonary fibrosis who have normal lungs.

In brief: Yes, very common

Dr. Ibrahim Faruqi
Dr. Ibrahim Faruqi
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: Maybe

Pulmonary fibrosis is often a diagnosis made on clinical history, exam and chest scan findings with pulm function tests.
If a biopsy is done of the lungs then this greatly increases the chance that the diagnosis is accurate. Without a lung biopsy the diagnosis may be less accurate.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology