Is pulmonary fibrosis inherited?

Dr. Craig Brown
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology
In brief: Pulmonary fibrosis
While I have not seen it commonly there are some families with a history of pulmonary fibrosis.
Most of my office patients and previous fibrosis patients I have come across are the only ones in their family with fibrosis. I have one patient in my practice with several family members with progressive and ultimately fatal fibrosis. She has been evaluated at duke university with a genetic workup.

In brief: Pulmonary fibrosis
Dr. Craig Brown
Dr. Craig Brown
Dr. Ibrahim Faruqi
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: Yes, rarely
Pulmonary fibrosis is a loose term. Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (ipf), if that is what you mean, is rarely inherited and there is a commercially available blood test to screen for it as well.

In brief: Yes, rarely
Dr. Ibrahim Faruqi
Dr. Ibrahim Faruqi