If I had a pulmonary embolism, how long before I am able to travel on plane?

Dr. Craig Brown
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: When you feel better

If you no longer have symptoms and the level of the blood thinner (commonly coumadin) is therapeutic.
Remember to get up at least 1 time an hour while on the plane. You must also discuss with your doctor before you plan to fly.

In brief: When you feel better

Dr. Craig Brown
Dr. Craig Brown
Dr. Rada Ivanov
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Depends

If you are therapeutically anticoagulated (your blood is thin enough on medicines) and you don't require supplemental oxygen, you should be able to fly.
If you have completed your blood thinning regimen, it might be a good idea to get a prophylactic shot of either Lovenox (enoxaparin) or Arixtra before your flight.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Rada Ivanov
Dr. Rada Ivanov
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine