I will be sleeping on a plane for 6 hours. How can I prevent deep vein thrombosis?

Dr. Lornell Hansen
Phlebology

In brief: Stay Hydrated

I would also recommend that you drink plenty of fluids and avoid alcohol when you fly.
Dehydration can increase the lieklyhood of developing a DVT when you fly.

In brief: Stay Hydrated

Dr. Lornell Hansen
Dr. Lornell Hansen
2 comments
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
Try to extend your legs and torso also (like a recliner)... the more you are in a "seated" position, the more compression there is on your deep veins. Ideally you want to get up and move around or flex your leg muscles every so often to circulate the blood in your legs.
Dr. Ted King
The other thing you want to not forget on long flights is to wear 20-30 mmHg, knee high graduated compression stockings.
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Air travel thrombosi

compression stockings will be the best option also a baby aspirin would be of benefitt

In brief: Air travel thrombosi

Dr. Norman Chideckel
Dr. Norman Chideckel
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology

In brief: Movement important

If you can't walk around, flexing and extending your feet is especially helpful if you can do it against resistance.

In brief: Movement important

Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Barbara Toppin

In brief: Ask your doctor

If you are traveling a long distance by plane or car, consult your doctor before leaving to if you are at risk for blood clots and may be a candidate preventive medications.
As your risks may not always be obvious, you may wear loose fitting clothes, use support hose, stand and walk when you are able . Flexing and extending you feet will also help the leg circulation.

In brief: Ask your doctor

Dr. Barbara Toppin
Dr. Barbara Toppin
2 comments
Dr. Lornell Hansen
I would also recommend that you drink plenty of fluids,avoid alcohol when you fly. If you are at increased risk of DVT, I would recommend that you wear graduated compression stockings with 20 to 30 mmHg.
Dr. Ted King
Flexing and extending your feet is especially helpful if you can do it against resistance.
Dr. Vicken Poochikian