I have just been diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis. Do I need to take blood thinners for the rest of my life?

Maybe not. If you have an unprovoked DVT and a family history of clotting, there is a very good chance that you have a thrombophilia. As dr. Hansen said, in that case you need to have blood tests to assess whether that is the case or not. If you have a thrombophilia, you may need to be on blood thinners for the rest of your life. On the other hand, if you have had your first episode of a DVT and there.
Depends. Mostly on location of the clot combined with your history, work up, family history. If it is a first clot in th caf with no other significant history no, .
Sometimes. It depends. If you have a strong family history of clots in the veins called dvt's or pulmonary embolism you should have a thrombophilia workup as some genetic factors can increase your risk of more dvt's. It also depends if the clot was provoked such as trauma surgery etc or unprovoked.
No. If this is your first clot national guidelines recommend 6-12 months of blood thinner.