Why do I start to cough when I eat or drink cold things?

Dr. Harold Peltan
Ophthalmology

In brief: Cold air

Breathing air past cold items can cool the air. Cold air can make many people cough.
Sometimes people cough because they swallow improperly, but that has nothing to do with temperature. If you have no other symptoms, don't worry about it.

In brief: Cold air

Dr. Harold Peltan
Dr. Harold Peltan
Dr. Michael Klein

In brief: Could be asthma

There are many things that than cause after eating.
One could be aspiration- accidentally swallowing liquids down the wrong pipe. If this only happens with cold, there is a phenomenon called bronchospasm, a component of asthma where the tubes in the lungs tighten up in response to cold which can cause a need to cough. This can be tested for and treated by a physician.

In brief: Could be asthma

Dr. Michael Klein
Dr. Michael Klein
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology