The hot water pipe beneath my apt burst and left a fumey smell and it's making me cough & wheeze. Why?

Mold. The damp environment may have created a situation for mold to grow... You may have an allergy to the mold.. Have the managment check it out.
Mold? Could be mold! your best bet is to have a professional evaluate your home where the pipe burst. In the correct environment, mold can grow rather quickly and even aeorsolize via the duct system. If present, it needs to be professionally treated and your symptoms should resolve.