I have a cancerous growth in my upper right lung. I had a biopsy on it and it came back benign. What could this mean?

Dr. Edward Gold
In brief: Uncertain
A cancerous growth cannot be benign.
It sounds like they found a lung nodule and biopsied it. If the doctor told you it is benign, then you need not worry. I would check back with your doctor.

In brief: Uncertain
A cancerous growth cannot be benign.
Dr. Edward Gold
Dr. Edward Gold
Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional
In brief: Need to be careful
Could be sampling error. Have your doctor talk to the doctor who did the biopsy.
May need to repeat biopsy or have an open biopsy. Depends on how suspicious your doctor is. More concerning if pet scan positive.

In brief: Need to be careful
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Possibilities
It could be a benign condition/tumor vs false negative.
Two options- if that looks really suspicious i.e. Growing significantly or high FDG uptakes on pet scan-you should consider to see a cardiothoracic surgeon for a video assisted -resection/ biopsy vs-repeat pet/ct or ct scan within a close interval if the lesion does not look suspicious. Please discuss with you doctor the best way to manage.

In brief: Possibilities
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Vicken Poochikian