What's the difference between sleep apnea and nocturnal hypoxemia?

Overlap. Nocturnal hypoxia is a drop in oxygen in the blood when sleeping. It's associated with sleep apnea, but also with hypoxic chronic bronchitis pulmonary hypertension and emphysema. Sleep apnea can be due to airway obstruction or of central origin. It causes reduced oxygen, often dangerously, and arousal from sleep, leading to daytime fatigue.
Similar. Sleep apnea is caused by a malfunction in the brain (central sleep apnea) or by blockage of the airway (by the tongue, tonsils, soft palate, or throat tissue) while sleeping (obstructive sleep apnea). Either of these problems can cause nocturnal hypoxemia (inadequate oxygen in the blood).