Can you be awake during bronchoscopy?

Dr. Michael Sanders
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

I have seen 2 awake bronchoscopies.
Both were on patients that were so hypoxic, if they were put to sleep, they would have likely ended up on the ventilator. Both patients did fine. Also, I talked to an attending once that had a bronch done while completely awake just so they could go to work when it was done.

I have seen 2 awake bronchoscopies.
Dr. Michael Sanders
Dr. Michael Sanders
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

For most bronchoscopies we use "conscious sedation"; this means that you are comfortable for the procedure but not usually put to sleep/asleep.
The procedure should not be painful and should be comfortable. You may have coughing during the procedure.

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. HARRY OPSIMOS
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: Kids-no

In pediatrics bronchoscopies are done with deep sedation and the child is asleep, but breathing on their own.

In brief: Kids-no

Dr. HARRY OPSIMOS
Dr. HARRY OPSIMOS
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology