Can a brachial plexus injury affect your breathing and swallowing ability in addition to arm, shoulder, and neck pain?

Dr. James Goodrich
Neurosurgery

In brief: Brachial plexus inju

A brachial plexus injury should not affect your breathing or swallowing as the nerves that control those functions are higher up.
If you had an additional injury to the skull base or base of the brain then i would be more concerned with breathing issues and swallowing problems. I would suggest you see a neurologist for a further workup if you are concerned about these issues.

In brief: Brachial plexus inju

In brief: Usually not.

Pain and mobility problems are common, but breathing and swallowing should not be affected.
It is possible that you also had some rib or neck injury at the time you had the brachial plexus injury.

In brief: Usually not.

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology