What is the percentage of smokers get lung cancer or emphysema?

Dr. David Cooke
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: 15-17%
About 15-17% of smokers develop lung cancer or emphysema.
About 85% of patients with lung cancer have been exposed to significant amounts of cigarette smoke.

In brief: 15-17%
Dr. David Cooke
Dr. David Cooke
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology
In brief: Getting and dying...
Sir richard peto the epidemiologist estimated that those who continue to smoke after age 35 have a 50% risk of dying of it.
..Heart, disease joins lung failure and cancer in the chest, but with each day more links to tobacco and many other cancers. My number is 14% of smokers get lung cancer. Smoking is addictive. Tobacco companies hate to admit this.Quit, never start, get help.

In brief: Getting and dying...
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology