I have emphysema. How long do you live on a vent if you need a lung transplant?

Lung transplant. You don't necessarily need to be on a vent if you need a lung transplant. Patients typically placed on a transplant list have severe emphysema and are 65 or younger. They cannot be smoking and other medical problems need to be minimal. Patients on prolonged mechanical ventilation are quite advanced and may not be considered candidates for transplants if the primary pulmonary issue is emphysema.
Depends. Hopefully this will never happen to you. A lot of times, patients can be on a transplant list while not needing a vent. A lot of times, patients on a vent in a hospital can't get a transplant due to a lot of other diseases they have. So, it depends.