How can I support my boyfriend who has sleep apnea and has to sleep with his cpap machine?

Dr. Scott Bobbitt
Dentistry

In brief: Consider OAT

Oral appliance therapy (oat) uses a custom-fitted night guard-type appliance that advances the lower jaw in much the same way that "rescue breathing" opens the airway during cpr. More than 40 different devices have fda approval for the control of apnea--specifically approved for mild-to-moderate osa, but certainly useful in much more severe cases--often in combination w/ other modalities.

In brief: Consider OAT

In brief: Dental appliances

If your boyfriend has mild or moderate sleap apnea there are dental sleep appliances that are more comfortable and less cumbersom than the cpap.

In brief: Dental appliances

Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Encourage

Encourage him to also use ancillary methods (weight loss, limit alcohol).
Consider oral appliances or OSA surgery.

In brief: Encourage

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology