Could you have early emphysema with a normal ("unremarkable")pulmonary function test?

Definition... By definition, COPD is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. If the pulmonary function tests do not show chronic obstruction, then COPD is not diagnosed. However, chronic obstruction can develop especially if the person continues to smoke. Asthma can be present with unremarkable pulmonary function test. Repeat the test in 6-12 months if COPD is still a concern. Good luck!
Alpha 1 antitrypsin. I would suggest another pulmonary function test and also screening for alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency.
Yes. Occasionally COPD can be found on a ct scan even when pulmonary testing is normal - this is relatively uncommon.