Why can standing up fast or bending over cause a sudden COPD panic attack in which I can't catch my breath?

Dr. Carlo Hatem
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: Increased pressure
Bending causes increased pressure in the abdomen which is in turn transmitted to the lungs causing shortness of breath.
Lungs with diminished reserves like in COPD are unable to adjust to that pressure increase. The standing up part is a different story.

In brief: Increased pressure
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: COPD & Panic
With copd, standing up fast further lowers oxygen supply to brain as the blood pressure drops, hence warning signal from brain by sending down more adrenaline which can trigger panic.

In brief: COPD & Panic
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Steven Seres