What foods should people with COPD and heart disease completely avoid?

David Miller

In brief: Heart healthy

CAD and COPD often go together. Actually in pts w/ copd, CAD is a more common cause of death than copd.
So heart-healthy diet should be focus--typically avoid high fat, high salt, while eating lots of veggies, nuts, fatty fish, etc. Although some pts w/ COPD have hard time maintaining wt, try to do so with more heart healthy foods, rather than just eating calorie-dense, heart-unhealthy food.

In brief: Heart healthy

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
3 comments
Dr. Christopher Dowd
And, although not really a food, avoiding tobacco and smoking are very important for both conditions!
Dr. Paul Cohen
Be as 'healthy' as possible; NO SMOKING!!!
Dr. Fernando Torres
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: Salt

In the short term, salt and lots of fluid makes you retain fluid and if it goes to your lungs, you will be more short of breath.
Long term, foods that have high cholesterol are going to be harmful to your heart and you should avoid. The lungs tend to be less affected by food than the heart. Some people think that milk products make their pulmonary symptoms worse.

In brief: Salt

Dr. Fernando Torres
Dr. Fernando Torres
Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Not sure

I am not sure there are any foods you should avoid.
Acid reflux would not be good in copd, so maybe avoid those foods that can cause heartburn. But, I am not sure there are specific foods to avoid in copd.

In brief: Not sure

Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Dr. Hesham Hassaballa
Dr. Adam Smith