Is it safe to do long strenuous hikes and weight training if I have copd?

Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Maybe...

Only your doctor can answer this for sure after a thorough evaluation.
You may need pulmonary rehab where you exercise while being monitored to determine what exercise is safe for you and whether you need supplemental oxygen while exercising. See your doctor.

In brief: Maybe...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Dean Giannone

In brief: Know your body.

I don't disagree with weight training or hiking if you have COPD, but bring your medications along and know your limits.
Listen to your body - if you're getting very short of breath, stop and rest or even call it a day. Don't push it, because once the lungs start to object it may be hard to turn back.

In brief: Know your body.

Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Dean Giannone
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Not advised

If this is something you do on a regular basis and have no problem doing it, you should be ok.
You can do long hikes that are not strenuous. You can do weights, but use small weights instead of heavy lifting. Ultimately, your body will tell you what you can do.

In brief: Not advised

Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Rada Ivanov

As long as you don't feel short of breath, that is actually good for you.

Dr. Rada Ivanov
Dr. Rada Ivanov
Dr. Arnon Rubin