If a person who has COPD and starts coughing up blood, how serious is it?

Pulmonologist. Must see a pulmonologist and obtain a flexible bronchoscopy to identify the bronchus from which the blood is comming and obtain a cat scan thorax with and without contrast. Must rule out cancer causing hemoptysis(coughing up blood).Hemoptysis can sometimes be life threatening, must know the source for emergency control of the airway if needed.
Very serious. If you have not coughed up blood before, you need to contact you physician asap, or report to the nearest emergency department.