I'm 65 female, ex-smoker and my spirometry show 82%. Is this an early sign of copd?

Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Not sure...

It depends on exactly what was 85 percent and if the test showed an obstructed or a restricted pattern.
In copd, there is obstruction present. See your doctor for an interpretation off the test and so treatment can be rendered if you do have copd. Congrats on smoking cessation!

In brief: Not sure...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: No

Any fev1 (forced expiratory volume in 1 second) above 70% of predicted is considered normal.
Clearly the best information about COPD is following the fev1 over time to look for changes but 82% is well within normal limits.

In brief: No

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology