I have COPD and emphysema. What do I need to do to become a candidate for a lung transplant?

Dr. Jose Medina-Bairan
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: Quit smoking first
First thing is to stop smoking and go to see a pulmonologist for a full evaluation and to get referred to a transplant program.

In brief: Quit smoking first
Dr. Jose Medina-Bairan
Dr. Jose Medina-Bairan
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology
In brief: Many issues....
To be a good candidate with lung transplant you have to have stopped smoking for 1 year, typically be below the age of 75, have a strong social support system, have no history of cancer within the last 5 years and have good cardiac function.
Also you cannot typically have a history of hepatitis, HIV or blood cancer/leukemias.

In brief: Many issues....
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology