Uncontrolled watery stool after partial colectomy; is it normal and if so for how long?

Dr. Emil Shakov
Aesthetic Medicine

In brief: Maybe

Could be infectious from c diff.
Have that ruled out first. If that is negative you could take immodium or fiber wafers to treat and slow down transit of stool.

In brief: Maybe

Could be infectious from c diff.
Dr. Emil Shakov
Dr. Emil Shakov
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Depends

On which part of the colon was removed and how far out from your surgery.
Right colectomies often associated with looser stools but should improve with time. Normal to have looser stools in the immediate post op period. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehyudration. I f still persisting after 4-6 weeks need to discuss with your surgeon or get another opinion.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Peter Kurzweil