What can I do to get mucus out of my lungs when I have bronchitis/asthma?

Dr. William Walsh
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Cough
In all seriousness, that is highly effective.
Often there is a component of post nasal drip present and nasal steroids, saline rinses, and antihystamines help as well. If allergies are persistant see an allergist about getting treatment.

In brief: Cough
Dr. William Walsh
Dr. William Walsh
Dr. Joshua Davidson
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Several things!
First, coughing is actually a good thing, as it's the body's way of directly eliminating mucous.
Second, medications like Mucinex can loosen up the mucous, making it easier to eliminate. Finally, decreasing mucous production in the lungs with anti-inflammatory inhalers (e.g. Advair, symbicort, (budesonide and formoterol) dulera) can dramatically decrease mucous levels in the lungs. I would discuss these options with your md.

In brief: Several things!
Dr. Joshua Davidson
Dr. Joshua Davidson
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Drink lots of water, and next time you go to the doctor, take someone along - having someone do "chest PT" or "chest percussion" on you during an attack can help, too.
Dr. Peter Kurzweil