I have bronchitis. Is pain when breathing normal for bronchitis?

Dr. Craig Brown
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology
Many patients describe, "tightness all over my chest, " when they have bronchitis.
It commonly improves as symptoms improve.

Dr. Craig Brown
Dr. Craig Brown
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
A very severe pain and shortness of breath can be a sign of complication, however.
Dr. Sue Ferranti
In brief: Perhaps...
Sometimes with coughing, you can develop musculoskeletal pain in your chest related to muscle strain, cartilage inflammation and bone bruising and even fractures.
This pain will resolve on its own gradually once the cough is completely resolved. If the pain worsens, or if it is present all the time and not just with cough or deep breathing, see your doctor urgently to rule out cardiac pain!

In brief: Perhaps...
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology