Should I be concerned about dark brown vaginal discharge in the first trimester?

Yes. This may indicate a threatened miscarriage and occurs when there is a mild separation of the early placenta. Strict bedrest and no intercoarse. Progesterone administration is found to be helpful in relaxing the uterus and allowing the separation to heal. See you ob/gyn.
Yes. Dark brownish vaginal discharge in 1 trimester is usually related to the implantation of the baby's placenta into the wall of the uterus. As long as the HCG and Progesterone levels are ok, and you have a normal sonogram i wouldn't be concerned.