Is smokeless tobacco or chewing tobacco bad for asthma?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: No

For asthma, no.
For cardiovascular diseases and oral cancer, yes. So if you do smoke and you have asthma switching from smoking to smokeless or chewing tobaccos is a step in the right direction. Still my goal would be to get you off tobacco completely. You may need the support of friends, family and people like you who want to quit but can't do it alone to achieve that goal.

In brief: No

For asthma, no.
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger

In brief: Possibly yes

Nicotine does make heartburn (or reflux) worse, and that in turn can worsen asthma - and reflux happens equally with all kinds of tobacco use.

In brief: Possibly yes

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky