I have eczema on my finger. Could that mean I will get asthma in the future?

Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Not necessarily...

Although both asthma and eczema have an allergic etiology, you could have one and not the other. So, having eczema does not automatically mean you will develop asthma.

In brief: Not necessarily...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: No

There is a strong link between eczema appearing in infancy and asthma appearing in early childhood.
If you are an adolescent or an adult who has eczema but has never had asthma it's very unlikely that you will develop it at this point. Improve your odds by (1) not smoking (2) maintaining normal body weight (3) adding adequate amounts of vitamin d & omega-3 fatty acids to your diet.

In brief: No

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger

In brief: Unlikely.

Eczema this limited is unlikely to be atopic, and should not raise your risk of asthma above that of people without eczema.

In brief: Unlikely.

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Cindy Juster