What should I do if I am wetting myself and I am not sure if my water is breaking?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: At 36wk must tell OB

Regardless of the gestational age of the fetus, the amniotic sac can leak fluid.
It is difficult to distinguish that from urine leaking from the bladder of the pregnant woman. The two conditions are handled differently. It is very common for women to 1) leak urine from pressure on or change in position of the bladder, 2) be shy about seeing someone to evaluate. The best approach is to tell an ob.

In brief: At 36wk must tell OB

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Kathryn Mercer

In brief: Water doesn't stop

If your water breaks, even if it's just leaking, it will continue to drip.
If it's really not clear to you, you should go to your doctor's office or the hospital. The risk is that infection could set in.

In brief: Water doesn't stop

Dr. Kathryn Mercer
Dr. Kathryn Mercer
Dr. Andrew Silverman
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Be checked

The easiest way to determine when membranes have ruptured or not is to perform 2 tests on the vaginal pool of fluid 1.
The nitrazine test (special pH paper strip to measure), and examine for ferning on the dried fluid under the microscope. These will provide the answer as to the source of the liguid.

In brief: Be checked

Dr. Andrew Silverman
Dr. Andrew Silverman
Dr. Megan Bird

In brief: Get checked by OB

It is often hard to tell the difference.
You can smell the fluid or see if you leak after emptying your bladder completely, but to be sure, see your doctor. They may do an exam and look at the fluid under a microscope to tell the difference, amniotic fluid actually crystallizes when it dries. Sometimes we do an ultrasound to see how much fluid there is.

In brief: Get checked by OB

Dr. Megan Bird
Dr. Megan Bird
Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: See your doctor

You should see your doctor immediately.
There are several tests they can do to check to see if the leaking is amniotic fluid.

In brief: See your doctor

You should see your doctor immediately.
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Jane Van Dis