My son was told after a colonoscopy, that his small intestines were on one side of his body and his colon on the other. His birth weight was only 4lbs and 5 oz. Born only two weeks early he was considered full term. Can this cause problems later?

Dr. Kevin Windisch

In brief: Hard to know

The colon is part of your intestine so i'm not sure what your son was really told.
I suspect that he was told he has a malrotation (though this is difficult to tell from colonoscopy). This is a dangerous condition and needs to be surgically corrected asap- to be able to say more i'd need to know the medical terms that were used.

In brief: Hard to know

Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Malrotation

Of the bowel can cause problems in the future but many people remain symptom free.
Discuss with a qualified colorectal surgeon or GI surgeon. Malrotation occurs in the womb so the bowel is not in the normal position. Obstruction or blockage can be a problem and would require surery to fix. How old is your son now?

In brief: Malrotation

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Cindy Juster