I have black acne scars on my face for the past one year. Iuse fresh aloe vera every night. The scars have faded a bit, but they are not completely gone. What should I do?

Dr. Seema Patel
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Deeper treatments

Hyperpigmentation from acne affects many patients.
Using regular hydroquinone 4% twice per day and Retin-A are good topical treatments. You should also consider lasers: the intense pulse lights are good if its more superficial and can be added to other lasers, the pixel erbium ya 2940 is great for all skin types but the co2 is only indicated for fair skin. The melanage peel is helpful as well.

In brief: Deeper treatments

Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Improve, not remove

You can never remove a scar, once present.
However, multiple options for improving the appearance of acne scars exist. Depending on your skin and exact circumstances your facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist may recommend laser treatments (including co2, 1550 nm erbium), peels, dermabrasion, or well as topical treatments. Seek a physician with experience.

In brief: Improve, not remove

Pathology

In brief: Dermatologist visit

Nothing can remove scars, not even a dermatologist.
There a variety of treatments available to specialist dermatologists that will make acne scars less easy to see. (aloe won't work.) also keep in mind that for many people, including perhaps someone special to you, acne scars give character and are not at all unattractive; several hollywood stars of both sexes have kept theirs. Good luck.

In brief: Dermatologist visit

Dr. Mark Johnson
Aesthetic Medicine

In brief: Black acne scars

In general, I have found the best results for the scarring using an erbium fractional laser.
That said, a series of tca peels often yields great results at a much lower price, but longer time is required. The dark spots can likely be treated with ipl or at least mitigated with a "lightening" agent like hydroquinone. Kind regards, mark johnson.

In brief: Black acne scars

Dr. Vicken Poochikian