What can I do if I am spotting?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Call your OB doctor
Spotting (staining or bleeding) can mean different things depending on when in pregnancy it occurs.
Early in pregnancy utering bleeding suggests a threatened abortion (medical term for miscarriage). Bleeding later can be caused by a placenta previa or abruption, both of which can threaten the life of mom and baby. Bleeding can also be from other sources. A woman must see an experienced OB to know.

In brief: Call your OB doctor
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Kathryn Mercer
In brief: Call your doctor.
It isn't uncommon to spot in pregnancy.
Depending on the gestational age, it could be a sign of pre-term labor, however. You should ask your doctor if you need to be seen.

In brief: Call your doctor.
It isn't uncommon to spot in pregnancy.
Dr. Kathryn Mercer
Dr. Kathryn Mercer
Dr. Nicole Bullock
I agree with Dr. Mercer ... in the meantime, rest. Get of your feet. Pelvic rest too .... no sex!! If you notice spotting after a long day or a busy day or after exercise, you just need to back off a little. Always better to be safe. Call your doctor if you have questions!
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
In brief: See doctor
You should see your doctor first.
In most cases there really is nothing you can do to make the spotting go away. Some women spot throughout the whole pregnancy.

In brief: See doctor
You should see your doctor first.
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham