What is the natural inflammation for when you get a total hip replacement?

Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Blood and toxins

During a hip replacement, muscles and tissues aree cut and torn.
Toxins are released from the tissues. Blood gets in the area and blood outside vessels, is an irrittant. There are many mediators of the inflammatory response after this extensive tissue injuring surgery that cause pain, swelling and issues. This is with proper surgery. Not being critical of these great surgeons. It is jsut it.

In brief: Blood and toxins

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Robert Cusick
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: Healing

Inflammation is actually necessary for proper healing.
Most hip replacements done today require your bone to grow on to the implant. Inflammation is necessary for this process. For these reasons, i recommend that my patients avoid nsaids for one month after surgery.

In brief: Healing

Dr. Robert Cusick
Dr. Robert Cusick
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine