Should I be concerned that my skin has been itching throughout my pregnancy?

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Pregnancy Itching

Severe itchiness in the second or, more commonly, the third trimester can be a sign of intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy (icp), a liver problem that affects up to 1 percent of pregnant women in the United States.
When bile doesn't flow normally in the small ducts of your liver, bile salts accumulate in your skin, which makes you itchy. The itching may affect your soles and palms first.

In brief: Pregnancy Itching

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Erin Alward

Most of the time this is related to dry skin in pregnancy, but there is a condition called cholestasis of pregnancy that could be the culprit.
Cholestasis can be very concerning and can cause problems for the baby. Itchiness without a rash in pregnancy needs to be evaluated by your doctor. There's a lab test for bile acids that can be done to look for cholestasis.

Dr. Erin Alward
Dr. Erin Alward
Dr. Robert Jackson
Dermatology

In brief: Can happen

This can happen because of increased bile salts and immune system works different ly during pregnancy.

In brief: Can happen

Dr. Robert Jackson
Dr. Robert Jackson