What are some of the causes of a posterior horn meniscus tear?

Jumping/twisting. Posterior horn indicates the location of the tear. Meniscus injuries from activity most commonly occur in sports that involve jumping and twisting. Examples include basketball and volleyball. This could also occur from jumping off a chair or loading dock. See your doctor for definitive treatment options.
Forceful blow twist. The american academy of orthopedic surgeons (aaos) says a forceful blow or twist can cause a posterior horn meniscal tear. This occurs if you suddenly pivot during physical activities, such as football, basketball, soccer or rugby.