Can I breastfeed while my baby is in the nicu?

Dr. Laura Webb
Breastmilk is great for all babies, but premature babies especially need the added immunity and antibodies transferred via breastmilk.
Sometimes they are too young to have a coordinated suck at the breast and need to be syringe fed- but you can still pump and give them the breastmilk. Talk to your nicu and let them know you would like to nurse as soon as possible. It is important bonding time.

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb
As long as your baby has a good suck and can latch on well during their nicu stay, the nurses and doctors can help you breastfeed your baby.

Dr. Scott J. Wolfson
Dr. Scott J. Wolfson
Dr. Adam Levy