What is treatment for a contusion hair line fracture in your knee cap?

Dr. Vlad Gendelman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Depends on direction

This depends on the direction of fracture.
If the fracture is horizontal, the knee has to be immobilized to prevent possible displacement of the fracture and disruption of the knee extensor mechanism. If the fracture is vertical, you don't have to do much. Just don't do anything that causes pain in the knee and try to prevent any further trauma for about 2-3 months.

In brief: Depends on direction

Dr. Vlad Gendelman
Dr. Vlad Gendelman
Dr. Roger Palutsis
Sports Medicine

In brief: Not Surgery!

The treatment is conservative.
I would suggest a hinged knee brace with or without crutches. This should get better without any surgery though. Sometimes a short course of therapy is helpful as well.

In brief: Not Surgery!

The treatment is conservative.
Dr. Roger Palutsis
Dr. Roger Palutsis
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine