What does it mean to have a micro fracture knee surgery?

Cartilage procedure. Microfracture is an arthroscopic surgery technique that restores cartilage in an area of cartilage deficit. By poking holes in the bone with an instrument that looks like an ice pick, bleeding occurs, which stimulates growth factors to create scar cartilage - which is not as good as the cartilage one is born with, but it can help with pain. Usually requires 6 weeks of non weight bearing afterward.
Little drill holes. We poke little holes in the bone to let it bleed and bring in healing blood cells that can fill in small cartilage defects with scar cartilage.