I have had some bleeding and have been told that the placenta is low-lying. Is the blood from me or the baby?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Probably maternal

Blood that comes out through the vagina in cases of a low placenta is typically from the mother. However, bleeding does need to be reported to an OB provider. If there are contractions and bleeding, even from a normally placed placenta, a woman should call the doctor and prepare to go to labor and delivery immediately.
A test sometimes done there can tell if the blood is fetal or maternal.

In brief: Probably maternal

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: Probably from you

The bleeding that occurs in situations of a low lying placenta is usually from you.

In brief: Probably from you

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Jonathan Jassey