What does it mean to have a hip replacement?

An artificial hip. The hip joint consists of a ball and socket formed of bone and cartilage. The diseased bone is removed and a new ball and socket, usually made out of metal and plastic is inserted surgically. The new hip, while mechanical, works in a manner very close to a normal hip joint.
Artificial device. The hip is a ball and socket joint. The damaged ball is removed, the damaged socket is contoured, and then an artificial metal and plastic ball and socket prosthesis are implanted inside the hip joint.