What is the reason that I still limp after my hip replacement?

Dr. Ralph Salvagno
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Weakness

Assuming that all else ( leg lengths equal and no nerve injury) is ok the most common reason for limp is weakness , especially of the abductor muscles.
These muscles move the hip out to the side away from the body. A physical therapist can design a program to strengthen these muscles.

In brief: Weakness

Dr. Ralph Salvagno
Dr. Ralph Salvagno
Dr. James Shapiro
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: Weakness

The most common reason for limping after hip replacement is weakness.
Depending on the muscles effected, the limp can vary from one patient to another. Other causes for limping are leg length discrepancy, swelling, nerve injury, and a limp prior to the surgery.

In brief: Weakness

Dr. James Shapiro
Dr. James Shapiro