Could you walk on a fractured hip?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: No

A fractured hip is very painful and any weight bearing is excruciating.

In brief: No

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Michael Patney
Orthopedic Surgery

An impacted fracture can result in diminished pain and I have had several patients walk into the office and the x-ray and MRI then show fracture.
Get it checked out!

Get it checked out!
Dr. Michael Patney
Dr. Michael Patney
Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Rarely

Typically the pain is so severe, walking is impossible.
However, I have had patients walk into my office with a hip fracture. So, if you are having significant pain, especially in the groin region, seek evaluation immediately. The risk of avoiding treatment would be that the fracture could displace, which would necessitate a bigger surgery and require a longer recovery.

In brief: Rarely

Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine