My estrogen, progesterone & testosterone levels are extremely low- as is my dhea & vitamins d & b considering pellet therapy. Is this best? I'm 38.

Dr. David Geffner
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: NO cures

First see an endocrinologist to find out the cause of the low levels, if they are really low in a reputable lab.
Bring your labs with you. Pellets, popular in australia, are used by too many ill trained people in the us. There are many other options to explore if you really are deficient.

In brief: NO cures

2 comments
Dr. Johanna Figueroa
A urologist that specializes in sexual health can also be of service
Dr. Johanna Figueroa
Pellets are used once appropriate dosing has been established. It's safe and efficacious.
Dr. Gurney Pearsall
Anti-Aging Medicine

In brief: Treatment Options

There are many treatment options for female hormone imbalances: *the on-label options include synthetic estrogen/progesterone pharmaceutical pharmacy rx *the off-label options include bioidentical estrogen/progesterone/testosterone compounding pharmacy rx .
All pellet implants fall into this category. The advantage of pellets include a long-last therapeutic drug level {3-6mo}.

In brief: Treatment Options

Dr. Gurney Pearsall
Here is a link to an excellent overview of the currently available forms of Testosterone: http://www.nature.com/ijir/journal/v19/n1/full/3901366a.html
Dr. Wendy Askew

In brief: It varies

Just wanted to say: my belief is that transdermal route of administration is best for estrogen and testosterone; and oral is best for dhea and Progesterone if you have problems with sleep dysfunction (the p4 gets conv'd to metabolite w/gaba activity that helps w/relaxation).
But best therapy is what helps u feel best.Remember: blood testing has very limited accuracy if using topical products.

In brief: It varies

Dr. Arnon Rubin