What are some of the symptoms of a stress fracture in the foot?

Pain. It is usually diagnosed by x-ray. Some fractures require an MRI to properly diagnose.
Pain and swelling. Pain in a specific area (not "all over") and swelling. X-rays do not always show a stress fracture right away. Mri should be used if high probability for stress fracture.
Symptoms & imaging. Stress fractures usually cause pain, but may also cause swelling and discoloration. The nature of stress fractures can make them very hard to identify on x-rays, but some may be apparent based on their size or phase in healing. Larger stress fractures or those that have had time to start healing are often the ones that can be seen with x-ray. The most specific test for a stress fracture is a mri.