How are Fosamax (alendronate) and femur fractures related?

Dr. Robert Lang
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: 2 answers
In patients who are truly at high risk for a hip fracture, Fosamax (alendronate) will decrease the risk of a fracture by 50%.
However, in about 1 person in 1000-5000 there will be an increased risk because the medication is too strong. The current recommendation by many experts is to not use this type of medication for prevention unless you are high risk for a fracture.

In brief: 2 answers
Dr. Robert Lang
Dr. Robert Lang
Dr. William Banks Hinshaw
I agree. The use of this medication is persons at low risk (by the FRAX algorithm) markedly increases the probability of shifting the risk/benefit ratio toward the risk side. I would add, that as the hip fracture reduction attributed to Fosamax was a 3-year trial (called FIT) and the benefit was not sustained in a longer 10-year study (called FLEX), duration of therapy is also of serious concern
In brief: Fosamax (alendronate) is used for
Having decreased bone density can lead to stress fractures.

Dr. Marshall Solomon
Dr. Marshall Solomon
Dr. Arnon Rubin