My doctor said the veins in my heart are in spasm, what does this mean and how is it treated. I have had attacks like a heart attack starts in my upper back going into my chest throat and jaw lasting about 15 to 20 minutes. He also said I have no blockage

Dr. Michael Moran
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Prinzmetal angina

Prinzmetal, variant, or vasospastic angina are all the same.
The coronary arteries go into spasm and reduce blood flow, just like a migraine headache. It is treated with vaso-dilating drugs, like calcium channel blockers (norvasc, procardia, (nifedipine) diltiazem, verapamil). It can cause heart attacks, but only in rare instances. The cause is endothelial dysfunction, get tested for Insulin resistance.

In brief: Prinzmetal angina

Dr. Michael Moran
Dr. Michael Moran
Dr. Howard Min
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Coronary Spasm

What you have is something called coronary vasospasm.
The arteries that supply blood to your heart are made partly from muscles (like your intestines). Just like the muscles in the rest of the body, the muscles in these arteries can spasm. This causes the blood vessel to squeeze down on itself. This can then cause blood flow restriction. We usually treat this with medications, like nitro.

In brief: Coronary Spasm

Dr. Howard Min
Dr. Howard Min
Dr. Jonathan Jassey