What are the safest sex positions for facet problems or degenerative arthritis?

Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management
In brief: Flexed positions
Since extension of the spine results in the facet joints approximating causing pain.

In brief: Flexed positions
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
2 comments
Dr. Peter Ihle
Any than cause the least discomfort.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Depends on the Sex!
Facet join is worsened by extension of the\back.
My male patients like the woman on top, less pain for them. Conversely, women with facet arthritis prefer the male on top for less pain. Sideways is the position that both would find uncomfortable. That being said, sex is a great workout for core muscles, which is good for the back. So follow my instructions: have sex with your partner.

In brief: Depends on the Sex!
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Edward Neilsen
In brief: Spooning
A good option would be spooning.
..Allowing both partners to maintain a natural curve in the spine which typically hurts less.

In brief: Spooning
A good option would be spooning.
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine