What is rhinitis of pregnancy?

Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Hormanal changes
Yep... It's the hormones.
Unfortunately, the changes in hormone levels can cause significant nasal stuffiness and engorgement of the nasal trubinates. Topical afrin is effective but you don't want to use more than several days at a time.

In brief: Hormanal changes
Yep... It's the hormones.
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
2 comments
Dr. Russell Faust
I agree with Dr. Melder: the same hormones that increase blood flow to the growing fetus also cause nasal congestion. In my practice, the best remedy includes nasal saline rinses, but check the article on my blog: http://bit.ly/uCixEk, and best success.
Dr. Michael Zacharisen
The treatment is indeed challenging. Some women have success with Breathe Right nasal strips. Safe and can be effective.
Dr. Scott Dyer
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
In brief: Could be allergy
Yes, women can develop allergies while pregnant.
In fact, women with allergies who become pregnant have about a 30% chance of it getting worse, staying the same, or getting better. Now, nasal congestion alone in pregnancy may be due to increased blood volume, and should go away after delivery. Allergy, however, is going to stay.

In brief: Could be allergy
Dr. Scott Dyer
Dr. Scott Dyer
Dr. Vicken Poochikian